Our company shares glorious credentials with the successful Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters of Back Up Rings. The Back Up Rings we make available are manufactured using hard, extrusion resistant material such as high-durometer Nitrile, Nylon, or PTFE. The Ring is designed to fit between an O-ring and an extrusion gap, to prevent the extrusion of the O-ring leading to O-ring failure.
More about Back Up Rings
- Extrusion failure is one of the most common types of O-ring failure. When the internal pressure of an application becomes too great, the O-ring will actually extrude into the clearance gap. This extruded product will quickly be nibbled away causing a loss of material, and once sufficient material is lost, seal failure will quickly follow
There are three options to prevent this :
- Reduce the clearances to lower the extrusion gap
- -This is the most expensive option.
- A cheaper solution is to raise the durometer of the O-ring. Although, a higher-durometer O-ring offers superior extrusion resistance, it is often not a feasible solution due to either material availability, or to the fact that harder durometer materials have limited low-pressure sealability.
- The last and best option is the addition of a Back Up Ring. While Back Up Rings are used in conjunction with O-rings in both static and dynamic sealing applications, the gland they fit in must be specially designed to fit both the O-ring and the Back Up.